After a fabulous afternoon of shopping with a girlfriend yesterday, I came home and threw together what ended up being one of the best meals both my boyfriend or I have eaten so far. It’s the perfect meal for what seems like a reappearance of wintery weather: it was overcast and horribly windy, and freezing. This meal was warm, flavorful and full of colorful vegetables!
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 red onion, chopped into large chunks
1 medium-sized carrot, peeled and sliced
1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
6 stalks of asparagus, chopped into 1-inch pieces
1 15 ounce can chickpeas
2 cups quick-cook rice (I used Instant Rice)
1. In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat.
2. Cut the red onion, carrot and bell pepper– add to the skillet. Cook until softened, about 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
3. While onion mixture is cooking, wash and chop the asparagus. Set aside.
4. Open and drain the can of chickpeas and place in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, about 1/8 tsp.
5. When onion mixture has softened, add asparagus and chickpeas. Add soy sauce, to taste. Mix, continue cooking until asparagus is tender but not soft.
6. Following the directions for the rice you’re using, cook the rice.
7. Place 1 cup rice onto plate, put 1-1/12 cups stir-fry mixture on top.
I’m still new to writing out my recipes, especially when I just add ingredients without measuring them first! This dish was beyond delightful. It was so warm and refreshing, and didn’t leave me feeling overly full. I had mine with some Caribbean-seasoned chicken I had bought from the store. I also served some pineapple starfruit juice with this dish.
And for this Memorial Day weekend– before you head off to the lake, to the sales or other events you have planned– take a moment to remember those who have served and fought for our country. Thank you to all those men and women who have served, and to those who are continuing to do so for our country today.