I am a huge fan of bean patties and quinoa patties. The one I usually make comes from one of my favorite blogs, Dashing Dish. One night, I wanted a Italian/Mediterannean twist, so I created this recipe. I made them a few weeks ago, and forgot to post about them. But don’t worry–now you have a dinner idea for tomorrow night. Enjoy!
Italian Quinoa Bean Patties
1/4 cup quinoa, cooked and cooled
1 can white kidney beans (cannellini beans), drained and smashed
1 egg, slightly beaten
4 sundried tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp oregano or Italian seasoning
1 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp cracked red pepper flakes
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook your quinoa and set aside to cool. A good trick is to place a bowl into the freezer a few minutes before the quinoa is finished cooking, and then placing the quinoa in the bowl once you’ve drained all the excess water.
3. In a medium to large mixing bowl, combine the smashed beans, slightly beaten egg, and the quinoa. Mix to combine.
4. Add in the tomatoes,seasonings, salt, and pepper, cheeses, and breadcrumbs. Mix to combine.
5. Place a sheet of tin foil onto a baking sheet. Spray the sheet with cooking spray.
6. Using clean hands, pick up the bean pattie mix and form into patties about to the size you want it. (They will not shrink or expand.) Place on cooking sheet. Amount will depend on the size of the patty.
7. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes.
8. Serve with Greek salad, fresh pita, or on a hamburger bun.